Thursday, February 5, 2009

Valentine Heart Make-Do

Today I decided I wanted to make a primitive make-do suitable for Valentine's Day. Yesterday I went rummaging through the local Salvation Army thrift store looking for the perfect stand to include in my project. What I found was a black metal stand that is 8 inches high. I have no idea what it was in it's past life, but it was suitable for my project. It was missing a price sticker but I'm thinking how expensive could this thing cost? When I got to the register, the clerk noticed the tag was missing and asked if 75 cents was OK with me. I agreed and couldn't wait to get home to make my make-do.
This is my finished project. I made it from a cranberry colored toile print and blanket-stitched a cream colored calico heart trimmed with a button to the front. It was left open on the top so I could insert a spray of Sweet Annie and red and white pip berries, a cinnamon stick, and a vintage Valentine graphic (thanks to Laurie at Down River Primitives). The entire piece is primtiively stained with my coffee and vanilla mixture. A prim hang tag which reads "Primitive at heart" is attached to the make-do with a rusty pin and bell. You can see how it fits perfectly in my thrift store treasure. This morning I listed it on eBay.

No comments: